The Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Bola Longe, who was in the entourage of the state governor, Mr Abdullahi Sule, revealed this shortly after the governor inspected the level of damage caused by the angry students on Friday.
The protesters, including entertainer Debo Macaroni, were charged on Saturday evening for taking part in a demonstration against injustice at Lekki Toll Gate, scene of October 20, 2020, killing of protesters by armed Nigerian soldiers.
“Nothing must happen to Mr Macaroni. The Police will arrest until they get tired! Under Buhari’s democracy, we beg for our rights to be recognized. We get treated as slaves and criminals just for demanding for our rights.
The police have continued to delay the matter so I can give up on the case. I went to meet the FCT Commissioner of Police and he told me that the matter had been transferred to Inspector-General of Police and that it was no longer under his control.
The year 2020 was probably the most historic year in history. COVID-19 pandemic, global economic crisis and government repression were met from below with renewed organised action and some of the largest mass struggles in history.
“They had tried this three months ago and we blocked the road and protested and we were called for negotiation. While the discussions were on the went round and terminated the people of the 8 of December when discussions have not concluded and benefits of the people have not been paid.
"I am saying it categorically that the government is conniving, conspiring and assisting this crime against humanity, and that is why I am here to protest. I came here now, but the officers are saying that I cannot exercise my rights."
we call on the various secuirty agencies to place an interim ban on all forms of protests across the federation until further notice because we can not be watching while some misguided elements and hoodlums destroys the nation we hold in trust for the next generation.
“the President was likely to have been told, soldiers were ordered so I want to believe that’s why it was not addressed and they said it was a rumour but I think the facts are emerging now, that indeed soldiers went to Lekki, indeed they fired at protesters and indeed some of the protesters at least two have been officially acknowledged to have died from gunshot wounds.”